Saturday, February 19, 2011

Its Getting Better All the Time

I went for a follow up this week to discuss my lab results with my doctor and she was so encouraging! She was pleased to see that all my levels were "normal" but she still wants me to get them a little further from the "high side of normal" so if there is another fluctuation, I'm not in the "High" or "At-Risk" category--I totally agreed--so we decided on a prescription: Victoza.

http://www.victoza.com/

Victoza is a shot I give myself every morning. It is NOT nearly as bad as it sounds and does not hurt at all. The reason I'm using Victoza is to "slow stomach emptying" while keep my blood sugar level and helping me to lose weight (thus lowering my levels above). What I like about Victoza is #1: is does NOT hurt! #2: it has no amphetamines, so it doesn't make my heart race and #3: it makes me far less hungry because my blood sugar stays level.

In other news, this week I conquered a major goal I've had for a while: hanging out with friends! I know, that sounds really silly, but for the past few years its been difficult for me to see friends (and even family) because of the insecurities brought on my my sudden weight gain and inability to get the weight off. It wasn't that I feel like any of my friends or family were going to judge me, but more that no one comes up and says "Wow you've gained a TON of weight! What in the world happened??" because people--myself included--assume weight gain comes from poor life choices. I knew no one would ask, and figured that if they didn't see me, they couldn't be shocked. What a sad way to go through life!

So this week, I had lunch with my baby sister! She isn't really a baby...she'll be 21 in a few months, but still....I made a lunch date with her and kept it and I had a blast! I also went out on Thursday night for a pedicure and some sushi with one of my closest friends from high school (and waaaaay beyond that!) and I had a blast! It was really good for me to go out and have fun and just be myself!

So, I go back to the doctor on March 15 to see how I'm doing on the Victoza and in between now and then, I hope to continue to make great strides and keep feeling better with every day!

--
There can never be a more beautiful you. Don't buy the lies, disguises and hoops they make you jump through. You were made to fill a purpose that only you can do, so there can never be a more beautiful you!

No comments:

Post a Comment