Saturday, April 16, 2011

Still Reaping that Harvest

It has been an overwhelming few weeks, as evidenced by my lack of posts. I'm sure I'd probably feel better if I logged in a little more, but I've been failing to make myself a priority lately and that's something that has to change!

The goods news: ★★★★ a grand total of 21 pounds lost! I'm just a few pounds shy of my 10% weight loss goal, and I'm hoping to reach that goal by the end of the month. That puts me at 1/3 of the way to my goal of losing 30 pounds in 2011, which is pretty awesome...and I continue to feel healthier every day :o) I'm still achieving victories on Victoza and making healthier choices each day (Despite that Gigi's cupcake addiction I've developed!). Overall, I'm really proud of myself.

The bad news: I need to tackle my stress the way I've tackled my weight loss and health. A year ago, I started eating local, organic foods...within months it had become a passion and a way of life. Its good for me, David, everyone--especially the farmers, and knowing now what I didn't know then, there is just no way I will ever consciously buy grain fed meat, chemical laden vegetables filled with neurotoxins, or even chemical filled soaps and shampoos; its just isn't a part of my life anymore and I feel better for it.

So, why can't I do the same thing with stress? Specifically, work and school-related stress. Granted, working 40+ hours a week and going to school full time is a tough job, I knew that when I made the decision to lead my life down that path, so rest assured this is NOT a "poor poor pitiful me" post by any means. I just realized recently that I've completely forgotten how to relax (not that I was ever particularly good at it before) and that is something that just has to change, if for no other reason is that too much stress is bad for my health! If I know how bad it is to let things get to me, to carry burdens around without laying them down, I'll essentially be forced to recognize it and change, right? I think so.

So, I started reading up of course, and here is what I found: http://networkedblogs.com/ggJVu

I'm particularly fond of the "color with crayons" suggestion, so I went out and bought myself a Veggie Tales (of course!) coloring book and 64 of Crayola's finest--complete with in-the-back-sharpener, so far its helped...but the five-day weekend away from work has certainly helped too. You know what I learned? I'm a good colorer! And, Crayola has an "asparagus" color that is perfect for coloring Veggie Tales! I'm already worried, though, about going back and reading through 200 emails and seeing who complained the most about me while I was out...it was just 3 days out of the office, and I'm not saving lives here, so relax people! Don't get me wrong, I like my job and even the people I correspond with on a daily basis, for the most part...everyone needs a break every now and then and this week, I needed mine! So, I'll finish this post and go color some more!

This brings me back to the similarities I find in stress and the journey I've had with PCOS, weight loss, digging for gold and reaping my harvest--its all a great deal of work, but even more so perspective. I've got to create my boundaries and live within them in the sense of what I allow to affect me and what I choose to let go. So, here's to continuing to reap my harvest, without pesticides, even though the weeds are starting to take over!

--
My friend, you know how this all ends
And you know where you're going
You just don't know how you'll get there
So say a prayer
And hold on
'Cause there's good for those who love God
But life is not a snapshot
It might take a little time, but you'll see the bigger picture.
[Josh Wilson, Before the Morning]
--

So this week, I'm making myself, my happiness and my love my #1 priority and I will try to keep my stress levels lower, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment