Thursday, June 16, 2011

A New Diagnosis?

Today I went to the doctor for an annual visit and physical--good news, I'm healthy! The doctor was pleased with my weight loss and everything went great. Then, she was looking through my file, which is pretty thick, let's be honest...and noticed that my TSH level from my last visit was elevated. TSH or thyroid-stimulating hormone is basically the "thing" that says whether your pituitary gland is working effectively, less-than-effectively, or super-effectively. A "normal" TSH level, according to my doctor is a 1.2 and my TSH level was a 3.69--yikes!

The term she used was "pre-hypothyroidism" and she prescribed me with two medications to try for two months before I go back. She was very open about this being trial and error because medicine is not an exact science where every patient fits every care plan, but said its worth a shot. So, we'll see how that goes.

Victoza has helped me tremendously, and I will also still be taking that. But, I can't deny that I am still very tired, my hair is still falling out, and I still have dry skin....it just isn't as bad as it used to be :) so, I'll update again in 2 months when I have more information. For now, I'm keeping an open mind!

1 comment:

  1. Desiccated bovine thyroid enhances brain power because the gland produces thyroxin, a hormone that stabilizes the body's well being. It also helps in improving memory.

    ReplyDelete