Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Changing My Body and Changing My Mind

I've decided that I'm going to attempt to include some pictures in my blog now, since its been over a year and I just learned how!

I just completed Week 6 Day 1 of C25K which means....I'm 3 weeks away from "graduating" and being able to run a 5k! My first 5k, of course, is coming up on October 15th and I am totally pumped! I've never wanted to do something badly, and never been so proud of myself for working hard towards such a powerful goal.

So, since I'm so pumped about running and I'm reminding myself that I just want to look like *me* I figured this was a fitting photographic reminder. Who cares if its from nearly 4 years ago?! Not me.

One thing I've learned from this whole experience is that to change my body, I have to change my mind. Shortly after the above picture was taken (by surprise actually, that wasn't a planned shot)I gained 60 pounds in a period of about 90 days. This was while walking 7 miles around campus everyday lugging a bookbag up the gauntlet known as Brumby hill and eating steamed veggies, drinking water, the whole healthy nine-yards. Doctors continued to say "eat less, exercise more" and at some point, that just didn't work for me. I *knew* something was wrong and it wasn't until February of this year (a whopping 3 years later) that I got a doctor to prescribe me the right lifestyle to make a difference.

But, that difference didn't come from some magic pill, or even from Victoza, it came from me. I decided that the babies I want to have in the future are worth working hard right now. I decided that buying local, organic produce and meats is worth the extra expense because, as Emerson said, the first wealth is health. And, I decided that it didn't matter what people thought, said, felt...I owe it to myself to do whatever it takes to be the best me possible. I couldn't be angry, embarrassed, sad, and I certainly couldn't be lazy. I had to change my mind before I could change my body!


Here's a more recent photo from St. Simon's Island in October of 2009. I was 30 pounds heavier then than I am now...and I guess I didn't look as bad as I think I did. Changing my mind....changing my body....

--
It doesn't matter what you've heard, impossible is not a word. Its just a reason for someone not to try. [Kutless]

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you. You are such an amazing gift to me as a sister and to the world. You are also one of the most beautiful people I have ever known, inside and out. I am so grateful to call you my sister. You have no idea who's life you may be touching through sharing your inspiring story on your blog. The honesty found on these pages is so brave. I love you my sister dora.

    ReplyDelete