Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Can Conquer the World!

I just finished my sixth, yes, sixth week of running Couch to 5k. That's a 5 minute warm up, 25 minutes run, and a 5 minute cool down for a grand total of 2.41 miles! After a run, I feel like I can conquer the world. During the run, I feel a little less confident, but when I feel like giving up (and I did today) I distract myself by thinking. Running is a great time to think, envision greatness, set mini-goals, and empower yourself. Today, when the little guy in my ipod said "ten minutes left" I thought he MUST be kidding me! So then, I thought about race day.


My race is in 20 days!! My very first ever 5k. I feel like I'm waiting on Christmas (which is in a mere 81 days, mind you) and I was envisioning me after the race, feeling sooooo empowered to know I'm not the fastest, not the slowest, but that I did it! More importantly, I envisioned a family photo and going out to an after-the-race dinner with my family. See, I need my family's support at this race I'm realizing. At first, I didn't want anyone there but me, because I'm wearing spandex, I'm still overweight, and you know, I didn't want to be embarrassed. But now, I want my family there: mom, dad, step-mom, brothers, sisters, brother-in-law, nephews, even David's family! They've all played such a crucial, encouraging role in this journey, and I just need them there at the race, cheering me on, and being a part of what will be the first picture I've WANTED to be taken of myself in almost 3 years. No kidding. Its not just a want, but a need, one of those heartfelt, as-seen-in-the-movies, fly across the country kind of things. And then, we're going to Olive Garden. Yes, all of this I thought while I was running at 8:30 this morning. I also thought, I need to email them and state my case!

Then the little guy in my ipod said "two minutes left" and I was reminded of about three weeks ago when "two minutes left" was like a death sentence. I'd tell myself, "I can do anything for two minutes" and now that's turned into "I can do anything" for ten...and then twenty....and now twenty-five minutes." And you know what? I can! I can conquer the world!

Finally, "one minute left!" from Mr. iPod guy and I get passed by a 70 year old man with legs of steel. You'd think I might feel discouraged by this, but no way Jose! He ran by, said "good morning!" I responded and smiled, feeling totally empowered. Then the little guy said "cool down" and the angels did sing. I rounded the corner and our Kenyan neighbor from the other building was taking out his trash he smiled and said good morning, I returned the greeting with a smile, and then he said "Good Job" in broken English and gave me a thumbs up! I could feel his sincerity bursting from his smile = )

Two words, so simple, and it totally made my day: "Good job!"

Now I'm off to email my family and conquer the world!

--
Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it." Ezra 10:4

1 comment:

  1. We WILL be there. Wouldn't miss it! Not even for all the Nutty Buddies in the world!
    SOO Proud of you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete