Thursday, August 4, 2011

Staying Motivated

Every once in a while, I need a shot in the arm. Something to jumpstart my mental game to remind me why I'm doing this whole weightloss/healthy lifestyle kick. Right now, my biggest motivator is the Buddy Christian Memorial 5k. 5k? What, really? YES. Really. I'm soooooooo pumped! I'm using the C25K app and just finished week one.

You can read about the event here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=225087070868916 and I'd love for you to join me!

The background story is this, Buddy Christian was a police officer, daddy, husband, and friend in Athens-Clarke County where I live. Buddy was shot and killed in March of this year, leaving behind sooo many loved ones. You can read more about the tragic events here: http://www.odmp.org/officer/20791-senior-police-officer-elmer-buddy-christian

I didn't know Buddy personally, but I do know some good friends who loved Buddy and his family dearly, and the way my community came together to show love and support to this family is so moving, there's no way someone could not be affected by this tragedy. Out of every tragedy comes some kind of blessing, and hearing the testimonies of Buddy's loved ones and seeing the unity of complete strangers at fundraisers has been a great blessing on me personally, but also within the community.

Knowing that doing this 5k supports something so much bigger than myself, my weightloss, my health, and my journey is the biggest motivator I have right now. I want to complete this 5k for me, but also for Buddy's wife and children. Motivation doesn't have to be a wedding, an outfit, a guy, or even a number...motivation just has to be something that means enough to you, that you make sacrifices and work hard to achieve a goal. That's what I hope to do!

Buddy (and Melissa and kids), this one's for you!!

"You are today where your thoughts
have brought you; you will be
tomorrow where your
thoughts take you."
- James Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment